Director of Information Technology
Location: Austin Transit Partnership (ATP) Download: ATP - Director of IT - Brochure
About Austin Transit Partnership (ATP)
The Austin Transit Partnership (ATP) was created by the City of Austin and the Capital Metro Transportation Authority (CapMetro) in December 2020, as the independent entity, accountable and responsible for the financing, design, construction, and overall implementation of Project Connect – a transformative, voter-approved investment in new transit services that includes Light Rail, MetroRapid Bus Lines, Commuter Rail, and Park and Ride facilities.
ATP’s charge is to deliver on the voters’ transit vision in partnership with the community — and in a way that embeds equity, sustainability, and transparency as overarching priorities. ATP is driven by data, which includes community input, and is committed to meeting voters’ goals and honoring Austin’s values.
Board of Directors
ATP’s Board of Directors provides strategic oversight of the program and convenes the community, as well as experts and partners who are crucial to delivering the program and achieving the public’s vision and goals. Certain foundational documents, including the Joint Powers Agreement among ATP, the City of Austin, and CapMetro, define ATP’s responsibilities, which include:
- “Financing, designing, building, implementing, and contracting with Capital Metro to operate and maintain [Project Connect assets] in a manner independent of the City and Capital Metro.”
- Actively ensuring that all parts of the community have a voice in the development of the program and providing regular program updates to the community and partners.
- Creating and deploying “transit supportive anti-displacement strategies”.
- Approving interlocal agreements and the Joint Powers Agreement with the City of Austin and CapMetro.
Learn more about ATP at https://atptx.org.
The Director of IT reports to the Senior Vice President, Real Estate, Facilities and IT Services and is responsible for the management of a portfolio of IT solutions, services and suppliers, designed to ensure best value to ATP’s operations. The position will facilitate the delivery and maintenance of IT solutions for ATP’s operational departments. Systems include cloud services, virtual/physical servers, storage, networking, cybersecurity, applications, desktop, and building systems.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Provides day-to-day leadership and management of the Information Technology Department that includes data management, networks, IT acquisition, technology innovation, cybersecurity, cloud computing and approved IT projects.
- Responsible for driving the development, implementation and management of a strategic, comprehensive enterprise cybersecurity and IT risk management program.
- Leads IT department operational and strategic planning, including fostering innovation, planning projects, and organizing and prioritizing the allocation of financial, human and technology resources, including for GIS.
- Develops and implements all IT policies, procedures and best practices, including those for architecture, security, disaster recovery, standards, purchasing, and service provision.
- Directs or oversees all IT initiatives to ensure agility and the achievement of specified goals and objectives.
- Provides executive-level leadership and direction in matters relating to vision, policies, priorities, and objectives.
- Identifies, assesses, and prioritizes IT risks to data and systems, including external threats, cyber-crimes, internal threats, and third-party risks.
- Advances ATP’s mission and operations by recognizing where IT can add value. Advises Leadership Team on strategic systems conversions and integrations in support of business goals and objectives.
- Fosters innovation by maintaining an awareness of new applications, technologies, technical methods, and industry trends, conducting research and development, and providing proposals and strategies to management.
- Establishes and implements short- and long-range departmental goals, objectives, policies, and operating procedures.
- Evaluates rapid changes in the information technology environment and opportunities to tailor those technologies to the needs of ATP by working with business partners and IT technical experts.
- Monitors the approved annual operating and capital budgets and provides prudent financial and budget oversight of departmental budget and technology systems.
- Oversees the technical support process for stakeholders, including troubleshooting and analyzing of systems, administration of system security, installation of preventive maintenance software, and negotiation and monitoring of service agreements with vendors.
- Coaches, leads, develops, directs and motivates staff and consultants in operational activities to ensure compliance with departmental goals, objectives, and budget.
- Direct the review of all current systems and formulation of future systems to be integrated with ATP’s strategic plans.
- Development and oversight of processes to manage and control IT assets including documentation and inventory control.
- Performs other duties as required and/or assigned.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- In-depth technical knowledge to help the organization manage its systems efficiently.
- Ability to develop and implement corporate IT strategies in order to meet organizational financial and operational needs.
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment, with deep technical knowledge, a high-level understanding of both technical and financial enterprise needs.
- Skilled in project management and with demonstrated ability to manage vendor and contractor relations.
- Ability to create and manage organizational change within the information technology function from operational necessity to strategic planning, including management of important cultural changes to foster successful working relationships within the organization.
- Ability to communicate with stakeholders effectively and persuasively, orally and in writing; considers herself/himself an active listener and can be relied upon to provide professional recommendations at all times.
- Ability to articulate strategic planning and big-picture goals and priorities of the information technology function clearly and appropriately.
- Ability to perform cost-benefit analyses of current and proposed services; forecast, create, and manage IT budget that is aligned with business strategies and member demands.
- Demonstrated the ability to hire, develop and retain high quality staff and contractors.
Education and Experience
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Business Administration, or a related field in addition to ten (10) years of progressive technology experience, and five (5) + years managerial experience. A Master’s Degree is preferred. Experience in planning and project management to oversee multiple projects with demonstrated customer service.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should bring experience with the implementation of information services, technology, and operations that includes direct oversight of hardware, server, networking and enterprise-wide and business unit-specific software applications, as well as data governance and information security, and experience formulating and implementing a Technology Roadmap.
The ideal candidate will be a proactive, solutions-oriented leader with experience in strategic planning. This individual will be well-versed in current technological trends and familiar with a variety of business concepts. The ideal candidate will have the ability to formulate policies and procedures, analyze, evaluate, and recommend changes for ATP’s information systems.
The ideal candidate will have the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with both technical and nontechnical audiences to include public officials, Board of Directors, ATP management, strategic partners, staff and the general public. The ideal candidate will be a visionary leader who inspires the staff to achieve excellence and encourages professional development. Effective communication along with strong collaboration, leadership presence and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative.
This individual must be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
The Austin Transit Partnership offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience and extensive benefits. Relocation assistance will be available for a successful out of area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume for consideration to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is March 06, 2023*
The Austin Transit Partnership is committed to building a workplace where inclusion is not only valued but prioritized. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and committed to creating a welcoming and diverse environment. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, pregnancy, age, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws. ATP makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and organization needs at the time.