IT Operations Manager
Location: City of Burleson, TX Download: City of Burleson, TX - IT Operations Manager
About Burleson, TX
Located on the southern edge of the flourishing Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, the City of Burleson has an estimated population of 50,210 residents in a land mass of 28 square miles. Burleson has been progressive in attracting businesses for economic development to diversify its tax base, as well as establishing development agreements within its extraterritorial jurisdiction to manage growth strategically outside its current borders. The City of Burleson's family-oriented environment, outstanding schools, plentiful and affordable land, and rolling hills have made it a desirable community to live, work, and play.
Burleson residents have placed a high value on nature and recreation with over twenty parks encompassing over 550 acres. The school districts serving Burleson consistently outperform state and national averages in college entrance exam scores, and its quality of life is further enhanced by a very low crime rate.
The City of Burleson operates under a council-city manager form of government. Citizens are represented on the City Council by the mayor and 6 council members, all elected at large to serve 3-year terms without limits. The Council is responsible for policy making and general oversight and appoints the City Manager to conduct daily operations through a professional staff in accordance with the law and appropriate procedures. The City Council also appoints a City Attorney, a City Secretary, and a Municipal Judge.
The City Manager leads the provision of a full slate of municipal services delivered through 13 municipal departments. The City’s total budget for FY22-23 is $204.28 million.
The IT Operations Manager is responsible for all servers, network, storage, security, and virtualization technology within the City’s Information Technology Department. This includes the installation, configuration, and ongoing maintenance of said technologies to ensure that the technology ecosystem operates smoothly and efficiently. The IT Operations Manager will work with their technical team to diagnose/resolve issues, run projects, maintain the budget, and communicate/work effectively with departments and end-users. The IT Operations Manager has two direct reports, and reports to the Chief Technology Officer; the IT Department’s budget it $5.7 million.
Essential Duties and Functions
- Reviews enterprise infrastructure technologies and recommends upgrades and enhancements
- Arranges and administers change control measures to prevent unapproved system configurations. Coordinates any security camera investigations and open records requests for e-mail.
- Ensures that the City’s Technology resources are readily accessible only to those authorized to access them.
- Supervises the IT Operations personnel including hiring, training, coaching, and performance feedback.
- Develops, implements, and documents ongoing management of the technology ecosystem to include network, servers, and storage needs.
- Manages server, network, and software application upgrades and maintenance to ensure proper planning, testing, and execution of plans.
- Provides advice to senior management of the organization and line managers on the necessary server hardware and software application design and configuration.
- Servers as Senior level technical support for all security and infrastructure-related issues.
- Works collaboratively with third-party auditors, internal auditing, and City departments in compliance with all regulatory oversight requirements. Drafts and communicates all audit findings and recommendations to management.
- Manages the Operations technology budget.
- Verifies compliance plans against established policies and procedures and applicable regulations as it deals with enterprise hardware and software applications.
- Develops and maintains detailed records regarding all systems hardware and software applications. Establishing and following established change control practices.
- Coordinates the relationships and strategies necessary to effectively oversee the responsibilities of providing a current and viable Business Continuity Plan as it deals with applications and infrastructure.
- Helps to achieve user satisfaction while maintaining a high level of network, server, and infrastructure security through collaboration and guidance with the IT Operations staff.
- Advanced knowledge of server and desktop virtualization environments using VMware hypervisor.
- Advanced knowledge of enterprise SAN devices and configurations using EMC disk storage products.
- Advanced knowledge of converged infrastructure using Aruba products or a combination of VMware, Dell VxRail, and Synology storage Products.
- Advanced knowledge of replication technologies that provide site level redundancy.
- Skill in planning, organizing, and evaluating the activities of subordinates.
- Skill in dealing with City staff, City boards and commissions, and citizens in a professional and positive manner.
- Ability to read and interpret laws and other regulations relevant to the performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and convey technical information in an easily understood manner.
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision.
Education and Experience
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in Computer Information Systems, or a closely related field, in addition to a minimum 0f six (6) years of progressively responsible experience involving technology services systems support with emphasis on Network management, servers, virtualization, and SAN infrastructures. A Master’s degree is preferred; a combination of education, experience and credentials will be considered.
Advanced Experience with the following technologies is preferred: Cohesity Backups, Windows Server 2016, Cisco Duo, Clear Pass, Palo Alto Firewalls, Aruba Switches, Vmware VCenter, SQL 2005 or higher.
Candidates must be able to pass CJIS background check within three months of hiring.
The ideal candidate should possess strong knowledge and experience in technology services systems support including the installation, configuration, and ongoing maintenance of server, network, storage, security, and virtualization technologies.
This individual must be innovative and seek out ways to ensure new technology solutions are implemented, appropriately utilized and adequately supported. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative.
This individual must be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
The City of Burleson is offering a salary range of $89,123.05 - $118,830.73 commensurate with experience in addition to a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is January 24, 2023*
The City of Burleson is an equal opportunity employer. This recruitment incorporates existing rules and regulations that govern public sector recruitments in the State of Texas. In accordance with public disclosure/open record laws, information submitted for consideration may be made available to the public upon request by interested parties.