Location: City of Celina, TX Download: City of Celina, TX - City Manager - brochure
About Celina, TX
It’s an exhilarating time in Celina! Situated along the northern end of Dallas-Fort Worth’s “Golden Corridor”, Celina is poised for growth. The city is situated among several regional corridors, including the North Dallas and Sam Rayburn tollways, providing it with geographic, economic, and demographic advantages for growth and opportunity. Its 76 square miles, including 32 miles within the city limits, gives Celina the second-largest geographical footprint in North Texas. Growth in Celina is both cultivated and intentional.
Celina’s Downtown lies at the heart of this thriving community. The area is home to many local businesses, restaurants, and boutiques. It also serves as the backdrop for some of the city’s most popular community events, including its signature Cajun Fest. Among Celina’s 30+ public events are Friday Night Farmer’s Market, Beware! Of the Square, Christmas on the Square, and Splash and Blast.
The current population is more than 40,000, with an estimated 380,000 population anticipated at build-out. The City of Celina's population has nearly tripled since 2010. This quick rate of growth makes Celina the fastest-growing city in North Texas (Dallas Business Journal). The median income in Celina is $98,000, and the average home value is $512,151.
Celina is operated by a Council-Manager form of government, with six council members and a mayor, each of whom is elected, at-large, to three-year terms. The council appoints a City Manager to act as the Chief Administrative Officer of the city.
Celina’s total fiscal 2023 year budget is $148.67 million, with a staff of 280 employees. The City’s tax rate is $0.634759 per $100 of valuation.
Celina is not only a destination point to live and play, but it is also a great place to work! Employees of the City are truly valued. We hire the best and we are always evaluating our programs, tools, and training to help employees grow and manage their careers. We believe diversity drives innovation and our core values embody a workplace culture where everyone is invited to bring their authentic self.
At the City of Celina, we demonstrate our high performance by modeling the Values of Excellence, Community, Integrity, and Service. Under administrative direction of City Council, the City Manager performs duties of Chief Administrative Officer in the administration of all services, affairs, and programs of the city; provides administrative direction and guidance to all departments; develops and administers the annual City budget; establishes and monitors internal controls and coordination of City programs; and prepares long and short-term strategic plans to meet organizational and development needs of the City.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
· Supervises professional, technical, and clerical personnel; supervisory duties including instructing; assigning, reviewing, and planning work of others; monitoring standards; coordinating activities; allocating personnel; and recommending employee transfers, promotions, and salary increases as appropriate.
· Conducts one on one meetings with city staff, and consults with department and division heads, to review assigned projects, resolve personnel issues, and to gather pertinent information.
· Responds to and resolves citizen inquires and concerns; negotiates and resolves controversial issues; responds to City Council and city management team in a timely manner.
· Interacts with City Council Members on regarding City issues, programs, and special projects.
· Prepares and recommends to the City Council the annual operating, capital and other budgets. Administers approved budget through appropriate internal controls and provides technical assistance and advice regarding revenue, expenditures, appropriations, allotment control, supplemental requests and the sale of bonds.
· Interprets and administers City Ordinance; implements City and Council policies.
· Consults with and directs department directors in solving administrative problems, developing, and implementing changes in organization, procedures, or policies to meet City goals and objectives.
· Reviews applicable Federal, State and City laws, ordinances and regulations for compliance and makes recommendations to appropriate departments where non-compliance issues might arise or to develop and implement new ordinances and regulations to enhance, update, modify or clarify existing ordinances.
· Develops and coordinates City affairs with Federal, State, and local entities, Federal and State agencies, civic and private groups and citizens.
· Promotes City programs, activities, services and business opportunities in order to increase economic development opportunities.
· Negotiates relocation and tax incentive packages.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of administrative, organizational and management practices and procedures related to similar size and growth municipalities.
· Knowledge of public finance, budgeting and budgetary controls related to the implementation of municipal government laws, rules, and regulations.
· Knowledge of Public Relations and Customer Service methods, practices, and techniques.
· Knowledge of research, analysis, and application methods, practices and resources including legal, economic development and planning, technical reference
· Knowledge of computers and related equipment, hardware, and software.
· Knowledge of City policies and procedures.
· Skill in planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing complex projects.
· Skill in effective oral and written communications including preparation and presentation of technical reports and materials.
· Skill in networking with internal/external administrative officials at the Federal, State and local levels as well as private and public foundations
· Skill in planning, developing, and implementing City policies, procedures, and objectives.
· Skill in effectively directing, supervising, and delegating duties to Director level staff.
· Skill in negotiating, mediating, and resolving customer complaints and concerns.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in public administration business, or a closely related field is required in addition to a minimum of seven (7) years previous experience that includes work in municipal government; a Master’s degree is preferred. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
The City Manager must reside within the City limits within a time specified by the City Council.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will work closely with the City Council to carry out city-wide initiatives and set the tone and vision for the employees of the city. This individual should be proven as an innovative and visionary leader with experience dealing with a complex set of issues related to a growing community. The ideal candidate should possess a record of accomplishment and success in economic development, development services, infrastructure, planning and zoning. Strong knowledge of public administration principles, strategic planning, and experience in fiscal planning. will be essential for this role.
The ideal candidate will be a professional leader with proven experience in building and maintaining a broad spectrum of relationships with Council, staff, stakeholders, and the community to ensure that a common vision is enacted and supported.
The ideal candidate should have experience in strategic planning and organizational development. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful. Advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative. The ideal candidate must have the capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and leader for staff.
This individual must be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
The City of Celina is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The Deadline to receive resumes is August 31, 2023*
The City of Celina is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.