Location: City of Dublin, OH Download: Download City of Dublin, OH - City Manager Brochure
About Dublin, OH
Dublin is a city of nearly 50,000 residents located just northwest of Columbus, Ohio. It offers residents and corporate citizens responsive services, attractive housing, superior public education, direct regional highway access, abundant park space, thoughtful and strategic planning, innovative ideas and technology and a dynamic community life. Dublin is consistently ranked one of the safest cities in the nation and has been named the Best Suburb to do Business for 11 consecutive years. It is home to more than 20 corporate headquarters, three entrepreneurial centers, 4,300+ businesses, world-class events and a vibrant downtown that unites Historic Dublin with the urban Bridge Street District. Dublin is conveniently located just 20 minutes from downtown Columbus and the Columbus International Airport.
In 2021, Dublin received numerous awards and accolades, including:
- The Best Small City to Live in Ohio, Top 10 in the United States by WalletHub;
- The Top Columbus Suburb of 2021 by Columbus Underground Magazine; and
- The Division of Economic Development was named the International Economic Development Organization of the Year and is the only organization in Ohio accredited by the International Economic Development Council.
Dublin is a vibrant and friendly City with safe neighborhoods, 64 public parks and over 135 miles of shared use paths with a variety of community events and activities for our residents to enjoy. It’s no wonder Dublin has been recognized nationally as one of the best places to live!
A global city of choice. Vibrant. Innovative. Engaged.
We are and always have been a proud local democracy. In our service, we strive to provide the best quality of life and environment in which our residents and business can thrive. We seek to ally our proud traditions with the best innovations of the future.
The City of Dublin follows a City Council/Manager form of government as adopted by the City’s original and revised Charter. The City of Dublin is a home rule municipal corporation operating under the authority of its own Charter. The Council is comprised of seven members – three elected at large and four elected from each of the four wards of Dublin. All Council members serve a term of four years and choose the City’s Mayor every two years at an organizational meeting. As Dublin’s governing body, City Council adopts policies and passes legislation, establishes City goals and oversees and approves the annual budget.
The City Manager is the chief administrative and law enforcement officer of the City of Dublin and is responsible to City Council for the overall administration of all municipal affairs of the City. Under the strategic direction of Council, the City Manager is responsible for planning, organizing, coordinating, administering and directing, through management staff, all City functions and activities.
The City Manager has overall responsibility for program planning, policy execution, fiscal management and the planning, supervision and operation of all City functions, programs and activities. The City Manager is responsible for accomplishing Council and City goals and objectives and ensuring that City services are carried out in a high-quality, cost-efficient manner. The City Manager performs the duties specified in the City Charter and those required by City Council.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Translate the City’s visions and goals into action plans. Work closely with the City Council, boards and commissions and a variety of public and private organizations and citizen groups in implementing programs and projects to achieve City priorities, address community needs, and create a vibrant community where generations can flourish.
- Advance fiscal sustainability of the City through adequate long-range financial forecasting and planning, adhering to sound financial policies, investment portfolio management and capital improvement programming. Direct the preparation and administration of the annual budget and capital projects for the City and submit to Council for deliberation and approval.
- Advance fiscal sustainability by leading vibrant, prudent economic development activities that support City Council goals and identify new opportunities.
- Implement City Council policies and goals regarding the stewardship of the City’s natural and historical resources.
- Appoint, inspire, develop, evaluate, discipline or remove City staff.
- Support and ensure diversity, equity and inclusion in all actions and leadership responsibilities. Promote a positive, inclusionary working environment in which management, staff and employees, as well as Council Members, are working together as a team.
- Seek to identify new and innovative ways of delivering services and programs. Review existing operations to identify opportunities to improve efficiencies, eliminate unnecessary expenses and improve service delivery, with an emphasis on providing outstanding customer service to the citizens and partners of the City.
- Develop positive external relationships and regional collaborations and advises the City on partnership and other cooperative efforts. Works to ensure the City remains connected to the community at all levels.
- Model the City’s core values at all time, including integrity, respect, communication, teamwork, accountability, positive attitude, and dedication to service.
Knowledge & Abilities:
- Ability to cultivate collaborative working relationships with elected and appointed officials at all levels of the government and a highly-engaged citizenry;
- Ability to inspire a nationally-recognized team to continued excellence and next-level innovation from day one;
- Ability to navigate complex local governance models, such as home-rule communities;
- Ability to develop cost effect services that exceed community expectations;
- Ability to drive economic growth and development.
The Ideal Candidate
City Council relies heavily on the expertise, judgment and recommendations of the City Manager so it is essential for the successful candidate to work closely with the City Council in carrying out city-wide initiatives and setting the tone and vision for the employees. This individual has an ability to form relationships with Council, city staff, the business community, education partners, residents, surrounding communities and the region. The ideal candidate possesses experience in economic development and understand the tools needed for success in a fast-paced environment with a complex set of issues related to a growing community.
The ideal candidate is a visible leader with a genuine interest in actively participating in the community. The leader develops a culture that inspires and empowers staff to achieve excellence. An effective communicator, the ideal candidate is a strong collaborator and team builder who believes that delivering the highest level of customer service is an imperative.
The ideal candidate adheres to the highest ethical and moral standards and displays transparency and inclusion.
Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will have a master’s degree in public or business administration, or related field from an accredited college or university and 10 years of progressive responsible experience in management and administration. Extensive experience managing public sector services and navigating a complex organization is required, preferably in an organization of comparable size and complexity. Experience as a City/County Manager or Assistant/Deputy, or department head is preferred or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The City of Dublin is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
**Deadline to receive resumes is April 25, 2022**
The City of Dublin is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.