Location: City of Commerce City, CO Download: City of Commerce City, CO - City Manager Brochure
City of Commerce City, CO
As one of the state's fastest growing communities, Commerce City is redefining itself for the next generation, building on historic values of community, industry, agriculture, and family.
Centrally located along Colorado's bustling Front Range, Commerce City is a safe, diverse and welcoming community with 25 miles of trails, a championship golf course, 840 acres of open space and parks, 1,300 thriving businesses, one of the country's largest soccer complexes and the nation's largest urban wildlife refuge.
Commerce City is ideally situated minutes from downtown Denver and adjacent to six major highways and two new commuter rail lines.
Commerce City is a home-rule municipality, which means the City Council may determine local laws within the City limits. It operates under a council-manager form of government, where the nine-member City Council establishes the vision for the City, set annual goals to achieve that vision and enact the laws that govern residents. They appoint the City Manager, City Attorney and Municipal Court Judge, as well as members of boards and commissions.
The City Manager serves as the chief executive officer for the organization, working with City departments to implement council's vision. In collaboration with City Council, the City Manager identifies and addresses strategic issues, provides leadership to City department directors, has responsibility for overall administration of budgeted funds and leads with fiscal soundness and overall best interests of the City. The City Manager is responsible for the organization's philosophy and culture ensuring that operational practice fits with the values and vision of creating a quality community for a lifetime.
The City Manager's office is responsible for implementing City Council policies and priorities, conducts City elections, preserves and provides access to records, provides public information, and interacts with other government agencies. The City Clerk's office, Community Relations, Economic Development, Intergovernmental Relations, and Municipal Court staff all reside under the City Manager.
Responsibilities and Duties of the City Manager:
- Responsible for the enforcement of the ordinances, official directives, other laws of the City, and those general laws of the state applicable to home rule cities.
- Prepares and proposes the annual budget to be submitted to City Council; and is responsible for the administration of budget after its adoption.
- Plans, manages, oversees and directs City operations and services to meet City Council goals and objectives.
- Develops and maintains close, cooperative working relationships and confers with other cities, counties, governmental agencies and officials regarding plans and priorities for programs and policies.
- Keeps City Council advised of the financial condition and future needs of the City and makes recommendations to City Council for adoption as necessary to ensure financial integrity of City.
- Exercises supervision, control and full management responsibility for the direction of all City departments, operations, services and activities.
- Overall responsibility for management of the personnel resources of the city, including to appoint, remove, promote, transfer, discipline or suspend all employees of the City.
- Manages, plans and coordinates major projects, organizational development and intergovernmental activities and negotiations.
- Provides direction to Economic Development to promote commercial and retail development in the community.
- Ensures timely dissemination of City Council directives, decisions and requests to appropriate staff members.
- Management of major issues and projects having political significance or high sensitivity in the City.
- Responsible for public information including community relations, marketing and communications; including cable and online video programming.
- Serves as a resource for department personnel, City staff, other organizations and the public; coordinates pertinent information, resources and work teams necessary to support a positive and productive environment.
- Appoints and organizes personnel deemed appropriate to assist in the administration of the City Manager's office, within constraints of budget.
- Performs first and second level supervision; provides regular performance feedback, coaches and mentors employees, assigns work, and determines employment actions such as hiring, termination, and salary changes.
- Prepares timely performance evaluations that clearly define expectations.
- Encourages department directors and their management teams to evaluate and prioritize individual and team goals within the context of the City's organizational goals, objectives, and commitment to service.
- Identifies and acts on employee performance and/or morale issues.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Advanced knowledge of principles and practices of public administration and management, strategic planning, and municipal government, structure and operations.
- Knowledge of applicable state, local and federal laws, statues and ordinances, City Code and policies and procedures.
- Advanced knowledge of current social, political, and economic trends and operating problems of municipal government.
- Strong ability to demonstrate effective communication skills; written, oral and in presentations including active listening skills, and the ability to express thought and direction in an organized manner.
- Strong understanding of Economic Development strategies to provide direction that align with vision and goals of the City.
Education and Experience
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor's degree in Public Administration or related field and at least seven years of progressively responsible experience in municipal management positions with authority for program direction and budget administration. A Master's degree in Public Administration is preferred. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered.
The Ideal Candidate
This is a key position within the City, and it is essential for the successful candidate to work closely with the City Council to carry out city-wide initiatives and set the tone and vision for the employees of the City. The ideal candidate should possess strong knowledge of public administration principles and a strong ability to lead the City in terms of planning, prioritizing, organizing, scheduling, delegating and the budgeting process. A record of accomplishment and success in economic development recruitment and retention efforts will be essential for this role.
This individual will be an outgoing, visible leader with a genuine interest in actively participating in the community. The ideal candidate must exhibit strong coordination and relationship-building skills in working with the entire organization and set a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy, and work ethic to the organization and community.
The ideal candidate will be a professional leader who inspires the staff to achieve excellence. This individual should have experience in strategic planning and organizational development. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful. Advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative. The ideal candidate must have the capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and leader for staff.
This individual must have superior personal and professional integrity and be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
During tenure of office, the City Manager must reside within city limits.
The City of Commerce City is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
The City of Commerce City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
**The deadline to receive resumes is November 02, 2020**