Location: City of West Valley City, UT Download: City of West Valley City, UT - City Manager - Brochure
About West Valley City
West Valley City boasts a population of more than 145,000 residents, making it the second largest city in Utah. From the establishment of the Harker's first camp on the banks of the Jordan River to the development of a bustling center for business, recreation, and entertainment, West Valley City is certainly living up to its motto, "Progress as promised."
Nestled in the Salt Lake Valley between the Wasatch and Oquirrh mountain ranges, West Valley City not only puts you in touch with nature and invigorating outdoor recreation, but also metro-centric amenities abound: world-class shopping, impressive music venues, live theater, and unique “passport to the world” restaurants.
As Utah’s most diverse city, WVC offers an amazing lifestyle, a place where young, talented employees want to live. New single-family homes and luxury apartments are more affordable than neighboring communities and WVC has a thriving restaurant and arts scene. WVC is home to the Maverik Center and Utah Grizzlies professional hockey; LiveNation’s USANA Amphitheatre, hosting the world’s biggest bands; two premiere golf courses; and features numerous world-class ski resorts in its backyard, so there is always something to do. Families and businesses have discovered that West Valley City is truly a City On The Move.
West Valley City has adopted a Council/Manager form of government. The Mayor and City Council are elected on a non-partisan basis and serve as the governing body. The Mayor is the Chair of the Council and the Council exercises general supervision of municipal affairs through its administrative and budget oversight function. The Council delegates the actual administration of municipal affairs to the City Manager, who serves as the Chief Executive Officer. The City Manager is appointed by the Council and serves at their pleasure. Municipal ordinances, resolutions, and policies are enacted by the City Council and implemented by the City Manager.
Under administrative direction of City Council, the City Manager acts as Chief Executive Officer of West Valley City, managing all aspects of the administrative functions of the City, and discharging any other duties specified by statute or imposed by the City Council. The City Manager implements council directives and coordinates community issues between departments, provides administrative direction and guidance to all departments, develops and administers the annual City budget, establishes and monitors internal controls and coordination of City programs, and prepares long and short-term plans to meet organizational and development needs of the City.
Duties, Functions, and Responsibilities
· Faithfully execute and enforce all applicable laws, ordinances, rules, and regulations, and sees that all franchises, leases, permits, contracts, licenses, privileges granted by West Valley City are observed.
· Carry out the policies and programs established by West Valley City Council.
· Organize and direct the management of the executive affairs of West Valley City in a manner consistent with state law and city ordinances.
· Examine and inspect the books, records, and official papers of any office, department, agency, board, or commission of the City, and to make investigations and require reports from personnel.
· Establish standards, qualifications, criteria, and procedures to govern the appointments by heads of offices, departments, and agencies, or by other authorized officers, of divisional officers, assistants, deputies, and employees within their respective organizational units.
· Appoint, with the advice and consent of the City Council, suspend, and remove, heads of City offices, departments, and all appointive officers of boards and commissions.
· Submit to the City Council plans and programs relating to the development and needs of the City, and reports concerning the financial, administrative, and operational activities of municipal offices, departments, agencies, boards, and commissions, together with the City Manager’s evaluations and recommendations relating to them.
· Attend all meetings of the City Council and take part in its discussions and deliberations, but without the right to vote.
· Set the dates of all public hearings. The City Manager shall notify the City Council of all such dates at a subsequent meeting of the City Council.
· Designate committees and the officers for the proper consideration of administrative problems.
· Accept, reduce, extend, and release performance bonds and delay agreements as provided in Section 3-2-106 of the West Valley City Municipal Code.
· Respond or delegate response to emergency calls on a 24-hour basis.
· Discharge any other duties specified by statute or imposed by the City Council.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Considerable knowledge of administrative, supervisory, government, and business practices and procedures.
· Considerable ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City officials, employees, and the general public.
· Ability to maintain confidences and practice business in an ethical manner.
· Considerable ability to gather, analyze, evaluate, interpret facts, and then prepare and present them in a concise manner.
· Considerable ability to receive, give, and explain oral and written instructions.
· Ability to exercise initiative and sound judgment and to react resourcefully under varying pressure conditions.
· Considerable skill in leading, training, and motivating employees.
Education and Experience
A Master’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or related field is required in addition to a minimum of 10 years experience in City Management. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered.
The City Manager must reside within the City limits within 12 months and must obtain a Utah driver license within 30 days of hire.
The Ideal Candidate
It's essential for the successful candidate to work closely with the City Council to carry out City-wide initiatives and set the tone and vision for City employees. The Council will rely heavily on the expertise, judgment, and recommendations of the City Manager so this individual should possess strong knowledge of public administration principles and have experience in redevelopment, economic development, and infrastructure.
The ideal candidate must have a strong ability to establish and maintain relationships with Council, City staff, the business community, residents, surrounding communities, and the region. The ideal candidate must set a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy, and work ethic to the organization and community.
The ideal candidate will possess superior management skills, and be a creative, empowering leader who inspires the staff to achieve excellence. Effective communication, strong collaboration, and team building skills will be necessary along with advanced written and oral communication skills. This person will need to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards while displaying transparency.
The City of West Valley City is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is December 07, 2023*
The City of West Valley City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.