Location: City of Kyle, TX Download: City of Kyle, TX - City Manager - brochure
About Kyle, TX
The City of Kyle is poised to be the largest city in Hays County. With a continuous annual growth rate of 8%, their population has multiplied 10 times over since the 2000 census from 5,000 citizens to just over 52,300. Kyle is strategically located along the I-35 corridor, between two Top Performing Cities in Texas. Just 7 miles south of Austin city limits and 39 miles north of San Antonio city limits, Kyle is in the enviable position along the booming corridor in the direct path of rapid growth.
With its prime location in the heart of the Texas Innovation Corridor and proximity to the large cities of Austin and San Antonio, Kyle attracts a diverse range of businesses, including high tech manufacturing, ranging from automotive and semiconductor to medical equipment and supplies, professional and business services, distribution, and destination recreation.
There’s plenty to do in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, with numerous parks and lakes within an hour’s drive, including city and county parks, Lake Kyle, and Lockhart State Park and Pedernales Falls State Park. Residents and visitors can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and camping, spectacular cave tours, swimming, river tubing, boating and fishing. Plum Creek provides 18 holes of championship golf on a course that is home to Texas State University's men's and women's golf team.
Kyle maintains a small town value system including dedication, integrity and creativity to their residents and business communities. When you’re looking for something sweet, there’s nowhere better to go than the “Pie Capital of Texas.” Pies are serious business in the City of Kyle, where all kinds of the sweet and savory confection are celebrated on your plate and in the town’s lively annual festivals.
The City of Kyle is governed by a council-manager form of government. The city council consists of three members representing geographical districts, three at-large council members, and the mayor, who is also elected at-large.
Under the administrative direction of the Mayor and City Council, the City Manager serves as the Chief Executive Officer and Chief Fiscal Officer of the City. This position serves at the will of the City Council and is responsible for the proper administration of all the affairs and business of the City in accordance with the City Charter, state law, and City ordinances. The City Manager oversees all departments and employees, except as provided otherwise in the Charter and the civil services laws; prepares and submits the proposed annual budget; administers the budget; and reports to City Council on the financial and administrative affairs of the City.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
· Attends all meetings of the City Council, with the right to participate in the discussions but not vote.
· Makes recommendations to Council on any matter requiring their legislative action and, where practicable, avoiding passage of an ordinance as an emergency measure.
· Periodically recommends to Council, when warranted, repeal of obsolete legislation and/or ordinances.
· Submits a proposed Annual Operating Budget to Council and be responsible for its proper execution in conformity with appropriations as approved by Council.
· Keeps Council fully advised as to the financial condition and needs of the city.
· Exercise administrative and supervisory control over all city departments created by Council
· Responsible for appointing, hiring, promoting, supervising, and disciplining all City employees.
· Makes administrative, engineering, and other assistance available to all boards and/or commissions created by the City Charter or by Council, within the limits of appropriations and available funds.
· Sees that all terms and conditions imposed in favor of the city or its inhabitants in any public utility franchise or other contracts are faithfully kept and performed.
· Executes contracts, agreements, and other documents on behalf of the city and as authorized by the Council.
· Prepares, analyzes, and reviews written reports and various documents.
· Interprets requirements and regulations; and instructs Department Heads, employees, and/or general public on various laws and regulations.
· Plans, observes, directs, supervises, and reviews city projects and activities.
· Responds to citizens’ concerns and participates in the resolution of conflicts.
· Maintains desired working relationship with Mayor, Council, and general public.
· Works cooperatively with community groups.
· Maintains a professional working relationship with other Federal, State, and local government agencies.
· Acts as a role model for innovation, improving the way the City provides services to the community.
· Reviews all city programs and policies to ensure that desired service levels are provided to the citizens of Kyle and non-citizens within the City of Kyle.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of municipal government policies, procedures, activities, and practices.
· Knowledge of federal, state, local statutes, ordinances and regulations governing municipal operations.
· Knowledge of general management principles; personnel practices and procedures; and supervisory principles and manpower planning.
· Knowledge of laws, goals, objectives, practices and procedures of Local Government Finance, Property Tax Administration, Police, Municipal Court, Animal Control, Library, Public Works, Parks & Recreation, Building Inspection, Street Maintenance, Water, Wastewater, Planning and Economic Development, and General Administration operations.
· Knowledge of municipal budgeting and finance principles and procedures.
· Ability to plan, organize, direct, and coordinate operational duties.
· Ability to properly respond to sensitive inquiries from citizens and government officials.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s Degree in public and/or financial administration or closely related field is required in addition to a minimum of ten (10) years of administrative or supervisory experience in comparable sized city, five (5) years of which should be as a City Manager or Assistant City Manager, or its equivalent; a Master’s degree is preferred. Qualified candidates must be bondable in an amount as determined by City Council, possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas Driver’s License and be eligible for coverage under the city of Kyle vehicle insurance provider. An equivalent combination of education and experience may be considered.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will work closely with the city council to carry out city-wide initiatives and set the tone and vision for the employees of the city. The ideal candidate should possess a record of accomplishment and success in economic development, downtown redevelopment, infrastructure, planning and zoning along with an understanding of the complex issues related to a high-growth community. Strong knowledge of public administration principles, strategic planning, and experience in fiscal planning. will be essential for this role.
The ideal candidate will be a visible leader with proven experience in building and maintaining a broad spectrum of relationships with council, staff, stakeholders, and the community to ensure that a common vision is enacted and supported. The ideal candidate will have experience engaging the community as an advocate for equity and inclusion; embracing the diversity of perspectives, and values that exist in Kyle.
The ideal candidate will possess superior management skills, and be a creative, empowering leader who inspires the staff to achieve excellence. Effective communication, strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary along with advanced written and oral communication skills.
This individual must have personal and professional integrity and be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards while displaying transparency.
The City Manager must reside within the City of Kyle.
The City of Kyle is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is February 28, 2023*
The City of Kyle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.