Location: City of Kyle, TX Download: City of Kyle, TX - City Attorney - brochure
About Kyle, TX
The City of Kyle is poised to be the largest city in Hays County. With a continuous annual growth rate of 8%, their population has multiplied 10 times over since the 2000 census from 5,000 citizens to just over 52,300. Kyle is strategically located along the I-35 corridor, between two Top Performing Cities in Texas. Just 7 miles south of Austin city limits and 39 miles north of San Antonio city limits, Kyle is in the enviable position along the booming corridor in the direct path of rapid growth.
With its prime location in the heart of the Texas Innovation Corridor and proximity to the large cities of Austin and San Antonio, Kyle attracts a diverse range of businesses, including high tech manufacturing, ranging from automotive and semiconductor to medical equipment and supplies, professional and business services, distribution, and destination recreation.
There’s plenty to do in the beautiful Texas Hill Country, with numerous parks and lakes within an hour’s drive, including city and county parks, Lake Kyle, and Lockhart State Park and Pedernales Falls State Park. Residents and visitors can enjoy a variety of outdoor activities such as hiking, biking and camping, spectacular cave tours, swimming, river tubing, boating and fishing. Plum Creek provides 18 holes of championship golf on a course that is home to Texas State University's men's and women's golf team.
Kyle maintains a small-town value system including dedication, integrity and creativity to their residents and business communities. When you’re looking for something sweet, there’s nowhere better to go than the “Pie Capital of Texas.” Pies are serious business in the City of Kyle, where all kinds of sweet and savory confection are celebrated on your plate and in the town’s lively annual festivals.
The City of Kyle is governed by a council-manager form of government. The city council consists of three members representing geographical districts, three at-large council members, and the mayor, who is also elected at-large.
Team Kyle Organizational Culture
The City of Kyle culture defines the way in which our employees interact with one another and with the public. The City of Kyle has taken specific actions to define its organizational culture with four essential core values. All management processes are developed to instill and reinforce the culture using the core values through employee job descriptions, hiring interview practices, on-the-job training, performance evaluations and the day-to-day work environment. Team Kyle Culture is based on the Core Values (KYLE) listed below:
· Knowledge- Knowledgeable in all aspects of job and City operations; maintains high quality of work. Training and Development is a priority to stay updated with best practices in the field.
· Yes-Attitude- Demonstrates superior customer service; treats other employees and citizens with kindness; promotes goodwill; solves conflict with tact.
· Leading Edge- Continually looking for areas to improve upon; decisive and adaptive; supports new ideas; a driver for change. Innovative.
· Employee Accountability- Actively seeks and gives performance feedback to determine developmental opportunities; uses feedback as an opportunity for continuous improvement. Takes accountability for their mistakes and learns from them.
The City Attorney serves as legal counsel for the City of Kyle as provided in the City Charter, and is available to provide legal advice to and representation of the Mayor, City Council, City Manager, City Secretary, City Directors, and City Boards and Commissions on issues relating to municipal law, litigation and legal instruments binding the City to financial agreements and obligations.
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities
· Attends regular and special meetings of City Council and City Boards and Commissions as required to provide legal advice
· Prepares and reviews correspondence, ordinances, resolutions, contracts, deeds, easements, affidavits, liens, releases, memoranda of law and other legal documents
· Issues oral and written legal recommendations
· Represents the City in litigation and/or coordinates the representation of the City by legal specialist or TML-IRP appointed attorney
· Keeps informed on state and federal legislation, regulations, and judicial decisions affecting the operations of the City. Advises City Council and City Manager on recommended changes required by these decisions
· Provides legal counsel to the City management team and departments
· Responds to communications from the public relative to legal matters, city code, etc.
· Investigates complaints and claims by or against the City
· Attends regular City council meetings twice per month; attends special meetings and work sessions as scheduled; attend meetings of Ethics Review Commission, Charter Review Commission and other Board & Commissions meeting, as needed
· Community Relations:
o Attends staff, committee, and Council meetings, participating as warranted
o Assists and participates in the resolution of conflicts
o Maintains desired working relationship with City Manager
o Provides support to other city department programs and/or activities
o Maintains a professional working relationship with other Federal, State, and local government agencies
o Reviews all city programs and policies to ensure that desired service levels are provided to the citizens of Kyle and non-citizens within the City of Kyle
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Knowledge of: City Codes and Charter; legal principles and practices; established precedents and sources of legal reference applicable to City activities; methods of legal research; criminal and civil judicial procedures; and real estate and eminent domain procedures.
· Ability to: analyze and apply legal principles and precedents to local government; effectively communicate, both orally and in writing and establish effective working relationships with Mayor, City Council, City Manager, Directors, Commission/Board members, and the general public on legal matters; mediate effectively between conflicting parties; and prepare clear and concise reports.
Education and Experience
A four-year college degree and doctorate in Jurisprudence from an accredited law school is required in addition to experience with Texas law involving municipal law and the Texas Local Government Code with a minimum of five (5) years’ experience practicing municipal law. Qualified candidates must be bondable in an amount as determined by the City Council and/or City Manager, and have experience with civil service and meet & confer.
· Qualified candidates must possess or be able to obtain a valid Texas Driver’s License and be eligible for coverage under the City of Kyle vehicle insurance provider.
· Qualified candidates must be licensed to practice law in Texas by the State Bar of Texas and membership must be in good standing.
This is a brand-new position within the organization; the City Manager will rely heavily on the legal expertise, judgment and recommendations of the City Attorney. In addition to meeting the minimum qualifications and requirements for this position, the ideal candidate should be a professional leader who is not only supportive, but an effective communicator with the ability to build positive relationships with the City Council and city staff. The ideal candidate will bring a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy and work ethic to the organization. This individual must have personal and professional integrity and be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards while displaying transparency.
The City of Kyle is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is November 02, 2023*
The City of Kyle is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.