Assistant City Manager
Location: City of Bozeman, MT Download: City of Bozeman, MT - Assistant City Manager - brochure
About Bozeman, MT
Nestled in the Rocky Mountains, with a population of 53,923 in the 2020 Census, the City of Bozeman has topped the charts for fastest growing micropolitans in the U.S. and now officially holds the status of “metropolitan” community. Spurred on by rapid growth the city touts a robust economy, world class university, and a thriving international airport.
Home to Montana State University, Bozeman is a dynamic growing community. The City's economy is supported by regional trade, tourism, higher education, and many high-growth industries such as photonics and optics, outdoor recreation, bioscience, manufacturing, technology, and healthcare. The region has drawn numerous tech start-ups looking for a Silicon Valley alternative, and Bozeman has become the high-tech center for the state.
Bozeman is a welcoming, diverse community that has received numerous awards and accolades over the years, including a high ranking in Livability's "Top 100 Best Places to Live for 2018" and National Geographic's "World's 25 Best Ski Towns."
Bozeman is an ideal location for outdoor enthusiasts, from hiking and skiing to mountain biking and fishing, Bozeman offers a variety of outdoor recreation amenities. Bozeman residents are within easy distance of several cross country and downhill ski centers and trails in the region. The City of Bozeman parks system consists of 42 public parks, 52 miles of trails, numerous sports fields and open spaces, ice rinks, off-leash dog parks, and three community garden areas. Yellowstone National Park is just 90 minutes from Bozeman and offers an endless variety of activities and stunning vistas.
The City of Bozeman operates under a city commission-city manager form of government. The City Commission is composed of four members and a Mayor who are all elected at-large. At every regular city election, a mayor is elected for a term of four years and serves as a Deputy Mayor and a Commissioner for the first two years of the term and Mayor for the balance of the term.
The Assistant City Manager provides leadership and assists in the direction of organizational management, and administrative operations and activities of the City Manager. The work is performed under the direction of the City Manager, but extensive leeway is granted for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative. Supervision is exercised over City Department Heads, and other administrative support personnel. The nature of the work performed requires that an employee in this class establish and maintain effective working relationships with the City Manager, Department and Division Heads, other supervisory personnel and City employees, the City Commission, government officials, and the general public. The principal duties of this class are performed in a general office environment.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Performs a variety of administrative duties in support of the City Manager in the execution of prescribed ordinances, resolutions, and regulations, including implementing all policies set forth, and serving as the acting City Manager in the absence of the City Manager
· Plans, directs, and supervises the City’s organizational management and administration, as assigned by the City Manager, and ensures all operations are executed in accordance with prescribed policies, procedures, and codes of ethics
· Develops goals, plans, and measurements for the identification and evaluation of the City’s problems and deficiencies, and assumes lead staff responsibility in managing City improvement and/or development projects
· Confers with the City Manager and elected City officials, Department and Division heads, and other supervisory personnel to discuss, identify, and assess their organizational, management, administrative, budget and financial problems and needs, including working with City departments on work plans and budgets
· Provides effective professional liaison between the City Manager’s Office and other City personnel, the general public, local businesses, and other Federal, State, and local agencies
· Researches special projects or assignments for the City Manager, and oversees project assignments to ensure successful completion
· Participates in the organization of special task forces and projects designed to address organizational management, administrative and community problems and needs as directed by the City Manager
· Collaborates with the City Manager, City Commission and City department and division heads in the development of recommendations for enhancing City operations and services, including assuming lead staff responsibility in management studies aimed at improving the efficiency and effectiveness of City operations
· Participates in the development and management of the City’s annual budget and capital improvement plan in accordance with policies established by the City Commission
· Communicates with all related personnel in efforts to encourage, motivate, promote leadership, and encourage teamwork in accomplishing set forth objectives
· Works with both elected and appointed City officials to solve internal organizational problems within Departments and Divisions and across departmental and jurisdictional lines
· Provides assistance to both elected and appointed City officials in program development and coordination of intergovernmental policies, programs, and operations
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
· Comprehensive knowledge of public management, organization, and administrative theories, principles, and techniques at local government level
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with the City Manager, City Commission, Division and Department heads and other supervisory personnel, other City employees, and the general public
· Comprehensive knowledge of the basic laws, ordinances, and regulations underlying City government, including State and City Codes, administrative regulations, and IMCA Code of Ethics
· Comprehensive knowledge of City government finance and administration, including State and National laws affecting the operations of the City
Education and Experience
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor's degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, or a closely related field and at least seven years’ experience in public management, preferably in the public sector at the local level of any government; ICMA involvement is preferred. Any combination of experience and training which provides the equivalent scope of knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to perform the work will be considered.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will work closely with the City Manager to carry out the City Commission’s initiatives and set the tone and vision for the employees of the city. The ideal candidate will be an established or up-and-coming leader with strong knowledge of public administration principles and experience in fiscal planning, strategic planning and organizational development; experience working in a university town and/or a growing community will be beneficial.
The ideal candidate must exhibit strong coordination and relationship-building skills in working with the entire organization and set a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy, and work ethic to the organization and community.
The ideal candidate will be a professional leader who has the capacity and interest to be an effective mentor and inspires staff to achieve excellence. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful. Advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative.
The salary range for this position is between $180,521 to $198,375 commensurate with experience along with a comprehensive benefits package that includes a 15% housing allowance. Relocation assistance and temporary housing may also be available for the successful out-of-area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
*The deadline to receive resumes is September 28, 2022*
The City of Bozeman is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.