Director of Economic Development
Location: City of Missouri City, TX Download: City of Missouri City, TX - Director of Economic Development Brochure
City of Missouri City, TX
Director of Economic Development
Missouri City, known as the "Show Me" city, has a population of over 74,000 and is conveniently situated 20 miles southwest of downtown Houston. The city covers 29.8 square miles and is easily accessible by major transportation thoroughfares including US 90A, Beltway 8 (Sam Houston Tollway), Fort Bend Toll Road, and State Highway 6. Most of the city is located in Fort Bend County, with a small portion in Harris County. Missouri City is a short drive from both major Houston airports and less than 60 miles from Galveston.
Since being incorporated in 1956, Missouri City has seen tremendous economic growth. Major employers include Niagara Bottling Company, Warren Alloy Valve & Fitting Company, Southwest Electronic Energy, LT Foods USA, Flair Flexible Packaging, Ben E. Keith Food, and Twin Star Bakery. Missouri City is currently experiencing significant growth and industrial / warehouse development along US 90A and Beltway 8. Business Park 8Ninety has recently broken ground. Park 8Ninety is a 127-acre site with capacity for 1.75 million square feet of Class A industrial. This project begins on the heels of the highly successful Lakeview Business Park, which is a 168-acre business park that is reaching full buildout.
Missouri City is respected nationwide for its high-quality development requirements. It is designated a Platinum Scenic City by Scenic Texas, a program that honors cities excelling in fostering a sense of pride in their communities by utilizing strict ordinances and regulations. Missouri City is only one of nine cities to have received this designation in Texas and the only city in the Houston region. It should be noted that unlike neighboring Houston, Missouri City has been a zoned city since 1981.
Residents of Missouri City enjoy a high quality of life that combines the advantages of a major metropolitan area with the comfortable atmosphere of a smaller community. The City has 20 parks totaling 393 acres and a state-of-the-art Recreation and Tennis Center that houses a cardio and weight room, gymnasium, batting cages, multi-purpose rooms, locker rooms, and tennis courts. The City also owns an award-winning 36-hole golf course and meeting facilities.
Recognitions and Accolades
Missouri City is recognized nationally as one of the Safest Cities in America by Congressional Quarterly and one of the Best Places to Live in America by CNN/Money magazine. Through City Council direction, City employees are dedicated to serve the needs of its community. From regional, state and national recognition of city programs to an award-winning municipal television station, Missouri City is honored to be a leader in local government.
The City functions as a Council-Manager form of government. The Mayor and City Councilmembers are responsible for policy functions under provisions of the Home Rule Charter of the City of Missouri City, which was adopted in 1974. The Mayor and two councilmembers are elected at large every two years in even-numbered years, while four district councilmembers are elected every two years in odd-numbered years. The Mayor is entitled to vote on all issues and has no power to veto City Council action.
The Economic Development Director coordinates the activities of the City's economic development department. The Economic Development Director administers the City's economic development program including prospect development, industry contacts, and negotiation with industry representatives to encourage business development in the City of Missouri City. The Economic Development Director reports to the City Manager.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Recruits commercial and industrial business developers through targeted marketing; meetings with developers, brokers, retailers and others business to encourage business development opportunities in the City of Missouri City.
- Answers questions from prospective business partners on available properties in the City; zoning policies and processes as requested or as necessary to make business decisions.
- Organizes activities; prepare solicitation letters to local and national businesses, including retailers; prepare information packets for distribution to perspective business clients; and prepare proposals for specific businesses targeted for location to the City of Missouri City.
- Implements economic development programs from researching state and federal economic development programs; monitors ordinances or legislations; recommends policy or program changes to the City Manager to increase effectiveness and efficiencies of the City's economic development initiatives.
- Partner with the City's Communications Department to inform the residents of impending strategies or activities that may impact the Missouri City community; makes presentations to City Council, private or public partners to encourage local business development.
- Researches, develops and distributes economic development data and reports; prepares and maintains updated statistical data on related business & industry.
- May lead negotiations on business partnerships or development agreements for commercial and industrial businesses development in the City, which may include tax abatement options, Tax Increment Reinvestment Zone agreements or similar business development incentives; monitors agreements for compliance with state, local and/or federal regulations.
Education and Experience
Qualified applicants will have a Bachelor's Degree in economics, business administration, marketing, or a closely related field, from an accredited college or university and a minimum of four (4) years related professional experience required. An equivalent combination of education, training, and/or experience may be considered.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate should possess a record of accomplishment in economic development, recruitment and retention efforts, redevelopment, and brownfield revitalization with knowledge of public policy development and analysis. Experience in fiscal planning, budget preparation, and economic development tools and incentives are required to be successful in this position.
The ideal candidate should be skilled in building and maintaining a broad and diverse spectrum of partnerships with City Officials, business leaders, financial institutions, developers, city departments, and the community. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful.
The ideal candidate needs to be a strong administrator with effective communication, strong collaboration, and negotiating skills to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative in addition to presentation and public speaking skills.
The City of Missouri City is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will be available for the successful out of area candidate.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
PO Box 794
Hershey, PA 17033
The City of Missouri City is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.
**The deadline to receive resumes is June 17 2022**