City of Shawnee, OK
Location: City of Shawnee, OK
Download City of Shawnee, OK - City Manager Brochure Download shawnee city manager job description
The City of Shawnee, OK
Shawnee is located in Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma and is just 30 minutes east of downtown Oklahoma City attractions. Shawnee is a growing city of 30,975, that boasts small town charm with big city offerings. You'll enjoy name brand restaurants and retail as well as the best in hometown dining and unique boutique shopping. Shawnee is rich in culture and home to world-class museums and attractions.
Quality of life for people in Shawnee means enjoying a small town community with big city luxuries. Shawnee boasts great schools, a growing economy, low cost of living and wide variety of recreation. The "Center of It All" - Shawnee is a great place to raise your kids, a great place to work, a great place to live your good life!
In 1908 the City adopted its first charter form of government. This Charter contained twenty articles and divided the City into six wards; the governing body consisted of a Mayor and a councilman from each ward, all elected by voters of the City.
Since 1930, Shawnee has operated under a managerial form of government. The commission appoints the City Attorney and the City Manager. The City Manager has charge of all the departments of the City. The Board of Commissioners pass all ordinances and must confirm all appointments made by the City Manager. It is purely representative in form; the power is derived directly from the people.
The City Manager's role is to plan, direct, manage and oversee the activities and operations of the City of Shawnee including the departments of Finance, City Clerk, Engineering, Community Development and Planning, Human Resources, Police, Fire, Airport, Expo Center, Utilities, and Operations; to coordinate activities of City departments with outside agencies; and to provide responsible and complex administrative support to the City Commission. As Chief Executive Officer and head of the Administrative branch of the City government, the Manager executes the laws and administers the government of the City in accordance with the City Charter, local ordinances, state and federal laws, and policies as determined by the City Commission. The Manager is responsible to the City Commission.
- Appoints and removes all heads of administrative departments and other administrative officers and employees of the City.
- Hires and develops a management team able to respond to the changing needs of the City.
- Supervises and is responsible for all administrative departments, offices and agencies.
- Reviews and, where appropriate, improves the basic operations, services and activities of each departmental programs.
- Plans, directs and coordinates, through subordinate level managers, the City of Shawnee's work plan; assigns projects and areas of responsibility; reviews and evaluates work methods and procedures; reviews administrative and support systems, and internal reporting relationships; directs and implements changes; meets with management staff to identify and resolve problems.
- Oversees and participates in the development of the City budget and submits the same to the City Commission; approves the forecast of funds needed for staffing, equipment, materials and supplies; administers the budget and implements budgetary adjustments as appropriate and necessary.
- Submits to the City Commission periodic and annual reports on the finances and administrative activities of the City.
- Identifies and responds to sensitive community issues, concerns and needs.
- Assists in the economic development activities of the community.
- Keeps City Commission up-to-date on issues that impact the citizens, the business community and other governmental entities.
- Manages the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for each assigned service area.
- Establishes appropriate service and staffing levels; monitors and evaluates the efficiency and effectiveness of service delivery methods and procedures; allocates resources accordingly.
- Represents the city in dealings with other elected officials and outside agencies; coordinates City activities with respect to outside agencies and organizations.
- Provides staff support to assigned boards and commissions.
- Attends and participates in professional group meetings; stays abreast of new trends and innovations in the field of public management and administration.
- Performs such other duties as may be prescribed by law or ordinance or as directed by the City Commission consistent with the laws or ordinances.
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's degree in Public or Business Administration; or a related field; a Master's degree is preferred. Qualified candidates must be bondable and have a valid Oklahoma Drivers License or the ability to obtain one within 30 days, in addition to a driving record acceptable to the City's insurance carrier.
The ideal candidate should possess at least seven years of increasingly responsible experience, in a supervisory role, preferably in a municipal environment. The ideal candidate's background should include extensive knowledge and experience in economic development, municipal finance and collective bargaining.
The ideal candidate must possess a strong ability to forge relationships with the City Commission, all levels of City management, and within the community; experience working with tribal communities will be beneficial. This is a key position within the City government environment and it is essential for the successful candidate to work closely with the City Commission in carrying out city-wide initiatives and setting the tone and vision for the employees of the city. The City Commission will rely heavily on the expertise, judgment and recommendations of the City Manager so this individual should have the ability to effectively delegate authority and responsibility while maintaining appropriate levels of operational control. This individual must be a visible leader with a genuine interest in actively participating in the community.
The ideal candidate will set a positive example of competence, professionalism, energy and work ethic to the organization and community. The ideal candidate will be a professional leader who inspires the staff to achieve excellence. Effective communication along with strong collaboration and team building skills will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and oral communication skills are imperative.
This individual must be able to adhere to the highest ethical and moral standards and be able to display transparency.
The City of Shawnee is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will be available for the successful out of area candidate.
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
2120 Market Street, Suite 100
Camp Hill, PA 17011
*Deadline to receive resumes is April 10, 2015
The City of Shawnee is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits discrimination because of race, sex, religion, age, national origin or disability in recruiting, hiring, training, transfers, and promotions for any and all positions with the City of Shawnee .