City of Port Arthur, TX
Assistant City Manager
Location: City of Port Arthur, TX
Download City of Port Arthur, TX - Assistant City Manager Brochure
City of Port Arthur, TX
Assistant City Manager
Port Arthur is located 90 miles east of Houston on the gulf coast of Texas and is ranked as the twelfth largest port in the United States and the second largest refining port. Port Arthur is the home of three major refineries and is the important terminus of the Kansas City Southern railroad. The town has grown to almost 60,000 with a diversifying economy to sustain Port Arthur's growth.
Soaring bridges spanning scenic waterways lead to outdoor adventure filled with birding, fishing and wildlife. Port Arthur unites land and sea in Southeast Texas, where their motto is "laissez les bons temps rouler," that translates to "let the good times roll".
Port Arthur provides wetlands and Gulf beaches, salt and fresh water fishing and a comfortable year-round climate that is perfect to enjoy Sea Rim State Park, a completely natural beach. Port Arthur offers strong Cajun and other cultural influences through its cuisine and music.
Port Arthur operates under a City Manager form of city government. The City Council is made up of a Mayor and eight Councilmembers. Four Councilmembers are elected from single member districts, two from combined districts and two at large. The two at large members are elected for three year terms and the other Councilmembers and mayor are elected for three year terms.
The Assistant City Manager is currently funded for two years. This position reports to the City Manager and provides administrative assistance to the City Manager by assuming responsibility for assigned administrative functions, analyzes and makes recommendations on difficult administrative problems, and assists City departments with various programs and activities.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Essential duties and responsibilities may include, but are not limited to the following:
- Analyze administrative problems and develop reports and recommendations for the City Manager.
- Provide information and interpretation of City policies, functions, and procedures to individuals, civic groups and the press
- Prepare correspondence, reports, memoranda, and directives for the City Manager
- Provide staff support to the City Council.
- Represents the City Manager at various meetings and conferences
- Confer with department heads and employees regarding policy and procedure changes.
- Represent the City at community and professional meetings as required
- Formulate complex and sometimes controversial policies and recommendations.
- Assist with the formulation of the City's budget
- Responds to difficult and sensitive citizen complaints and requests for information
Knowledge and Abilities:
- Modern principles and methods of public finance and public personnel administration.
- Modern principles and methods of public administration
- Principles of effective public relations and interrelationships with community groups and agencies, private business and firms, and other levels of government
- Analyze complex administrative problems and make a sound decision and/or recommendation to resolve the problem.
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with other administrators, civic groups, the press and the general public
- Serve as Acting City Manager or acting Department head as assigned.
Education and Experience
Qualified candidates will have a Bachelor's degree in public or business administration, or a related field from an accredited college or university, in addition to, a minimum of four years of increasingly responsible administrative experience in municipal government; a Master's degree is desired.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will possess superior management skills and have experience developing and implementing strategic plans. This person should be a flexible leader with broad knowledge of public administration principles, fiscal planning and budget preparation.
The ideal candidate should be a critical decision maker with the ability to process information and commit to a definite course of action. This person will need to be a creative, resourceful leader with proven experience in building and maintaining a wide spectrum of partnerships with the City Manager, council, city staff, and the community to ensure that a common vision is enacted and supported.
Effective communication and responsiveness will be necessary for this individual to be successful; advanced written and verbal communication skills are imperative.
The City of Port Arthur is offering a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a comprehensive benefits package. Relocation assistance will also be available for a successful out of area candidate.
How to Apply
Applicants should forward a cover letter and resume to:
2120 Market Street
Camp Hill, PA 17011
*Deadline to receive resumes is June 28, 2016